[EN/RO below] Sustained ice chimney on Exocet | Aguja Standhardt

We had plenty of things to do in the small village of El Chalten so we didn’t get bored waiting for good weather conditions. Short bouldering sessions in the forest outside the village, repairing our broken tent, searching for the right food to bring in the mountains, meeting local climbers and talking about routes and climbs, testing the best local beer were normal daily activities.

A higher atmospheric pressure was predicted to arrive across the massif on the New Year’s Eve so we got ready to hike up to Niponino again where we already stashed some food and gear the week before. We still had no clear idea if there might be an opportunity for a climb to Cerro Torre, and we did not know how the conditions should look like for a climb from the West side of the mountain.

Nobody climbed this peak yet this season and we knew there could be hard work for many hours, digging tunnels in the rime mushrooms on the last pitches of Ragni route. Not wanting to relay on just a single shot, we armed ourselves with a couple of “plan B” routes in the area… a good strategy that I learned and applied many times in the Alps.

We hiked back in to Niponino and pitched our tent on a flat sandy terrain on the glacial moraine. An hour later we moved in a small cave, under a boulder, and took better protection against the constant wind. The next morning we woke up in thick clouds and wind and there was no point in doing route finding in such conditions. We spent the New Year’s Eve under the boulder, ate noodle soups, drank herbal tea and listened to podcasts. The window for Cerro Torre was obviously closing and we decided it was time to focus on the plan B.

New Year's Eve Niponino Cave copy

New Year’s Eve accommodation in Niponino

Monday, the 1st of January we started early in the morning towards Col Standhardt. After an hour wandering around the glacier we got soaked wet from the rain and wind and we got back to our sheltered cave. The day before three South Korean climbers traversed over Col Standhardt on the West face in bad weather. We believed their strategy and a very short possible window were not enough for a successful attempt (and it turned out they had to bail ) so we decided to climb Exocet route on Aguja Standhardt instead.

Exocet is a remarkable and serious route with varied climbing and a very sustained ice chimney, climbed for the first time by Jim Bridwell, Greg Smith, and Jay Smith and I knew this climb would be an endurance test for me and would require fast climbing so the challenge was accepted.

We started at 2:30 am from Niponino and found our way across the crevassed glacier in the dark. We stopped at the base of Scud (a route also used as normal descent from Standhardt), we brewed and refilled our bottles with hot tea and stashed in the snow one backpack, the stove and poles and some glacier travel gear. We arrived at Col Standhardt shortly after dawn. This place is one of the most spectacular places I have ever climbed: a huge block of rock is stuck in the small breche separating Chile from Argentina, West from East, bad weather from good weather, the Patagonian Ice Cap from the valley glaciers of Chalten. On one side the entire Fitz Roy ridge was glooming under the early morning sun and on the other side a sea of thick clouds was revealing through small windows an infinite white “desert” of ice.


Kyriakos climbing the spectacular first pitch of Exocet


Fairytale land Patagonia copy

Sunrise over Fitz Roy Massif

Climbing was spectacular as well, the granite was covered with a thick layer of rime snow that was hard to trust under the pressure of the ice tools peaks and crampons. The second pitch revealed the first challenge and seriousness of the route. Finding proper protection in the snow covered cracks and a safe way up the slabs was not easy. Kyriakos had a really bold lead, climbing delicate slabs for about 45 m with just 4 pieces of pro. Quite a crazy start. We continued with a long traverse left on ledges and snow fields and tried to move fast under the already falling rime from the packed vertical walls. A short rappel was followed by more traversing to a 35 m step of grade 3 or 4 ice climb which led us to the base of the famous ice chimney. The ice was looking good so we headed up motivated. The chimney was narrow at the beginning, then it got wider and steeper. The grade 5 climbing was not on short vertical sections but on long, sustained cruxes. Quite hard and pumpy for my first proper ice climbing of the season. It was my block of leads and I focused to preserve energy resources and hang on the tools, place screws efficiently and still play it safe for the entire 5 pitch long chimney that seemed that was never ending.

The weather changed fast in late afternoon but we managed to pass the route difficulties and reach the final ridge. A strong wind came across from the other side of the mountain, we were no longer protected like in the chimney. A thick rime was covering the final ridge to the actual top mushroom but we could’t see anything in the whiteout. These conditions and the late hour called for a smart decision, and we stopped the climb on the ridge, probably 150 m of snow rime ridge from the summit.

After searching for a safe anchor we finally managed to find a place for an abalakov, then abseiling back in the chimney was fast and straight down. From the snow ledges we traversed a bit and headed down into unknown terrain and an obvious corner (Scud route) to continue with another 6 or 7 rappels to the base of the East face. There, in the dark we noticed the snow slopes were covered with fresh snow. We searched for almost 2 hours for our stashed backpack and we could not find it.

Cold and tired we decided to head down and back to Niponino which we reached around 1:45 am, after 23 hours on the move. The rain started and we could rest for 3 hours until we got all wet in the small bivy. I packed as many things as possible, hanged them on the harness and headed down to El Chalten in a slow and annoying 8 hours hike.

The disappointment that we lost the backpack and gear did not last long. The climb was long, hard and spectacular and brought a lot of content. In Chalten we had another spare stove and I could use my other smaller pack for the next climbs.

A few rest days followed, and then another possible window of good weather. Maybe a better opportunity for Cerro Torre?

A Romanian team (Zsolt and Vlad) arrived in El Chalten with the main objective to climb Cerro Torre. We met and we decided that it might be a good opportunity to try the peak together on the next weather window and work together to dig the final rime tunnels leading to the top of Cerro Torre. Sometimes good intentions and ideas don’t work as planned. The weather conditions turned out to be worse then predicted and a four day window was actually a day and a half, not enough to even attempt a serious climb. This time the trip to Niponino ended fast, after a hike up and down and no climbing involved.

Planning and taking decisions in this kind of trips can always make a difference between a successful trip and a less successful one. We only had a week and a half more to spend in Patagonia and no significant weather improvement for the next period so we decided to change our attention to some faster climbs on the Eastern side of the massif.

Most of the time, climbing more by adapting to short or small opportunities can be more satisfying for me. I prefer to always stay open to new perspectives rather than wait helpless for a weather opportunity that may never come.

Dreaming out loud


O fereastră de oportunități?

Am avut destule de făcut în micul sat El Chalten așa că nu ne-am plictisit în așteptarea condițiilor meteo mai bune. Sesiuni scurte de bouldering în pădurea de lângă sat, repararea cortului rupt, căutarea alimentelor potrivite de dus pe munte, întâlniri cu cățărători locali, discuții despre trasee și ascensiuni, precum și testarea berii locale s-au numărat printre activitățile zilnice normale.

O presiune atmosferică mai ridicată era prognozată să sosească deasupra masivului de anul nou așa că ne-am pregătit pentru încă un drum până la Niponino unde aveam deja ascunse niște mâncare și echipament de săptămâna trecută. Încă nu aveam idee dacă va fi o oportunitatea de a escalada Cerro Torre și nu știam cum ar trebui să fie condițiile pentru o ascensiune din partea vestică a muntelui.

Nimeni nu a urcat încă acest vârf în acest sezon. Știam că ar urma multă muncă ore întregi, săpând tunele în ciupercile de zăpadă înghețată pe ultimele lungimi de coardă ale traseului Ragni. Nedorind să ne bazăm pe o singură încercare, ne-am înarmat cu mai multe planuri B – trasee în zonă … o strategie bună învățată și aplicată de multe ori în Alpi.

Ne-am întors la Niponino și am instalat cortul pe un teren plat dar nisipos pe morena glaciară. O oră mai târziu ne-am mutat într-o peșteră mică, sub un bolovan unde ne-am protejat mai bine de vântul constant. Dimineața următoare ne-am trezit înconjurați de nori groși și vânt și nu avea sens să căutăm calea în astfel de condiții. Am petrecut anul nou sub bolovan, am mâncat supă de tăieței, am băut ceai din plante medicinale și am ascultat podcast-uri. Fereastra pentru Cerro Torre se închidea în mod evident și am decis să ne concentrăm pe planul B.

Luni, 1 ianuarie am pornit dimineața devreme spre Col Standhardt. După o oră de mers pe ghețar ne-a plouat până la piele și ne-a bătut vântul într-atât încât ne-am întors la peștera noastră ferită. Cu o zi înainte trei cățărători sud coreeni au traversat spre Col Standhardt pe fața vestică pe vreme rea. Ne-am gândit că strategia lor și o fereastră foarte scurtă de vreme bună nu sunt suficiente pentru o tentativă reușită (au abandonat ulterior) așa că am decis în schimb să urcăm traseul Exocet de pe Aguja Standhardt.

Exocet este un traseu remarcabil și serios ce implică escaladă variată și un horn de gheață foarte susținut cățărat prima dată de Jim Bridwell, Greg Smith și Jay Smith. Știam că ascensiunea ar fi un test de anduranță pentru mine și ar necesita o parcurgere rapidă așa că am acceptat provocarea.

Am pornit la 2:30 am de la Niponino și am gasit calea printre crevase pe întuneric. Ne-am oprit la baza traseului Scud (un traseu folosit ca întoarcere normală de pe Standhardt), am fiert apă, ne-am umplut sticlele cu ceai cald și am ascuns în zăpadă un rucsac cu fierbătorul, betețe și niște echipament de mers pe ghețar. La scurt timp după apus am sosit la Col Standhardt, unul dintre cele mai spectaculoase locuri în care m-am cățărat: un bloc imens de stâncă este înțepenit în mica breșă care separă Chile de Argentina, vestul de est, vremea rea de vremea bună, calota glaciară Patagoniană de ghețarii de vale montani din masivul El Chalten. Pe o parte întreaga creastă Fitz Roy strălucea sub lumina răsăritului iar de cealaltă parte, printr-o mică fereastră în marea de nori groși, se vedea un “deșert” infinit de gheață.

Cățărarea a fost și ea spectaculoasă, granitul era acoperit cu un strat gros de zăpadă înghețată în care ne era greu să avem încredere sub presiunea vârfurilor pioleților de gheață și a colțarilor. A doua lungime de coardă a scos la iveală seriozitatea traseului. Nu a fost ușor să găsim protecții în fisurile acoperite cu zăpadă și în același timp o urcare în siguranță pe fețele căzute.

Kyriakos a parcurs lungimea cu îndrăzneală, cap, cățărându-se pe fețe căzute aproximativ 45 de metri cu doar 4 protecții. Un start destul de nebunesc. Am continuat cu o lungă traversare pe brâne și pante de zăpadă și am încercat să ne mișcăm rapid pe sub zăpada înghețată care cădea de pe pereții verticali încărcați. Un rapel scurt urmat de o traversare către un pasaj de 35 m de gheață ( grad 3/4) ne-a condus către baza celebrului horn de gheață. Gheața arăta bine așa că ne-am îndreptat în sus, motivați. Hornul este îngust la început, după aceea devine mai larg și mai abrupt. Secțiunile de gradul 5 nu erau doar niște praguri verticale ci pasaje verticale lungi și susținute pe aproape întreaga lungime. Porțiuni destul de grele și pompante pentru prima mea cățărare serioasă pe gheață din sezon! A fost setul meu de lungimi de coardă și m-am concentrat să-mi păstrez energia să pot găsi poziții bune în pioleți și să pot plasa șuruburi în gheață într-un mod eficient pe cele 5 lungimi tari ale hornului care păreau să nu se termine niciodata.

Vremea s-a schimbat repede târziu după-masa dar am reușit să trecem de dificultățile traseului și să atingem creasta somitală. Un vânt puternic venea din partea opusă a muntelui. Nu mai eram protejați ca în horn. Un strat gros de zăpadă înghețată acoperea creasta somitală spre ciuperca din vârf dar nu vedeam nimic în whiteout. Condițiile respective și ora târzie au cerut o decizie inteligentă. Ne-am oprit din cățărarea crestei, la probabil 150 de metri de zăpadă înghețată față de vârf.

După ce am căutat o ancoră sigură într-un final am reușit să găsim loc pentru un abalakov, iar rapelul înapoi în horn a mers repede și direct în jos. De pe brânele de zăpadă am traversat puțin și am coborât în teren necunoscut și spre un colț evident (traseu Scud) pentru a continua cu încă 6 sau 7 rapeluri până la baza feței estice. Acolo în întuneric am observat că pantele de zăpadă erau acoperite cu zăpadă proaspătă. Am căutat aproximativ 2 ore rucsacul ascuns și nu l-am găsit.

Înfrigurați și obosiți am decis să ne îndreptăm în jos și spre Niponino unde am ajuns pe la 1:45 am, după 23 de ore în mișcare. Ploaia a început iar noi ne-am odihnit preț de 3 ore până când s-a udat tot echipamentul din micul bivuac. Am împachetat cât mai multe lucruri posibil, le-am atârnat pe ham și am mers tot mai jos spre El Chalten într-o drumeție înceată și plictisitoare de 8 ore.

Dezamăgirea că am pierdut rucsacul și echipamentul nu ne-a ținut mult. Ascensiunea a fost lungă, grea și spectaculoasă și ne-a adus multă mulțumire. În Chalten mai aveam un arzător de rezervă și îmi puteam folosi celălalt rucsac mai mic pentru ascensiunile viitoare.

Au urmat câteva zile de odihnă după care încă o posibilă fereastră de vreme bună. O oportunitate poate pentru Cerro Torre?

O echipă românească (Zsolt și Vlad) a sosit în El Chalten cu obiectivul principal de a urca Cerro Torre. Ne-am întâlnit și am decis că ar putea fi o oportunitate bună să încercăm vârful împreună în fereastra următoare de vreme bună și să colaborăm să săpăm în zăpada înghețată ultimele tunele care duc spre vârful Cerro Torre. Uneori intențiile și ideile bune nu funcționează ca în plan. Condițiile meteo s-au dovedit a fi mai rele decât era prognozat și o fereastră de vreme bună de 4 zile s-a transformat într-o zi și jumătate, nicidecum suficient timp pentru a încerca o ascensiune serioasă. De data aceasta drumul la Niponino s-a încheiat rapid, după o drumeție în sus și în jos, fără nici o cățărare.

Planificarea și luarea unor decizii în astfel de ieșiri fac întotdeauna diferența între o ieșire cu succes sau cu mai puțin succes. Mai aveam doar o săptămână și jumătate de petrecut în Patagonia și nici o îmbunătățire semnificativă a vremii nu se anunța pentru perioada următoare așa că am decis să ne mutăm atenția către ascensiuni mai rapide pe fața estică a masivului.

De cele mai multe ori, cățărând mai mult adaptându-mă la condițiile meteo poate fi mai satisfăcător pentru mine. Prefer să rămân întotdeauna deschis la noi perspective în loc să aștept neajutorat condiții meteo oportune care s-ar putea să nu apară deloc.